Stranded & Tangled In Madagascar
SOS! The Crochet Crowd is Stranded and Tangled in Madagascar!
Over $3000 in Prizes
The Crochet Crowd is back at Creativ Festival October 24 – 26, 2014 and is stranded in Madagascar on the show floor Booth #517.
Creativ Festival, Metro Toronto Convention Centre, South Building Hall D, 222 Bremner Blvd, Toronto Ontario, Canada
Have your creativity featured in front of 30,000 guests while at Creativ Festival and be part of something huge!
SOS! We’re Stranded & Tangled in Madagascar!
Another crochet escapade… they like ‘em big… they like ‘em chunky!
Michael Sellick and Diva Dan went a bit ‘crackalackin’ in Africa and need to be rescued! While inside a crate on board the freight liner headed to Madagascar, they had lots of time on their hands to plan a course of action. Once they hit land the rescue challenge was issued! Get in on the mission.
The Crochet Crowd Global Community is challenged to create fun creatures and items for a crochet safari. There are over $3000 in prizes to be won, thanks to Red Heart Yarns, Creativ Festival, James C Brett, Schachenmayr Yarns, The Crochet Crowd and Westcott Scissors.
Watch it all unfold at Creativ with a wild and crazy display full of crochet lions, hippos, giraffes and even monkeys created by the Crochet Crowd fans. They ‘Like to Move it, Move it’ with all that Red Heart, James C. Brett and Schachenmayr yarns… it’s a fibre safari adventure!
The ‘Crowd’ loves mother nature’s creatures and you’ll have the chance to purchase finished Madagascar crochet item made with love by Crochet Crowd challengers. Proceeds will benefit the Humane Society of Canada.
The Crochet Crowd – Booth #517 www.TheCrochetCrowd.com
The Challenge & Inspiration
Unleash your creativity to come up with a characters or elements from the Madagascar Movie. Use the island scenes as part of your inspiration.
- Review the movie. Don’t limit yourself to only doing the main characters. There are so many other creatures that didn’t get much of a role in a movie.
- Melman the giraffe.
- How about the slap happy penquins, Skipper, Kowalski, Rico and Private
- The two chimps, Mason and his sign language friend Phil.
- How about a Cracklack’n zebra, Marty.
- Gloria the Hippo
- Marty the Lion.
- Don’t forget about the pesky predators.
- The comic relief lemur, King Julien and his gang.
- There are many other characters that didn’t have a speaking role but are part of the movie. Look carefully.
- Be creative to think outside of the box of what is in the movie that can be your inspiration?
- Look at the background of the movie to see elements such as palm trees and other elements the characters are interacting with.
- Example, Melman was in a box for a bit with his legs and head sticking out.
- Gloria showed up on the beach with moss hair and star fish bra.
- There as a hula girl on the dash of the plane that the Skipper fell in love with.
- What else did you see when reviewing the movie?
- When designing your character, think about the emotional connection to the creature or item you are making.
- Use existing patterns and/or come up with your own designs to make your creatures.
- Don’t be afraid to embellish and let your imagination soar.
These Patterns are Free
- Zippy The Zebra
- Huggable Penquin
- Love My Giraffe
- Parrot Pals
- Harper the Hedgehog
- Love Monkey
- Mustachio Mouse
- Baby Elephant
- Little Crochet Giraffe
- My Ponies and Me – Ideas for Zebra’s Here
- Leo the Lion
- Purr-fect Mini Kitty
- Turtle Pillow Pal
- Giraffe Pillow
- Heather the Hippo
- Toy Giraffe
- Ssandy the Snake & Salvadore Snake
- Twiggy the Tree Frog
- Crochet Bee
- Gopher Golf Club Cover – Has great facial shaping.
- Fay the Flamingo
- Cuddle Monkey
- Monkey Toy
Animals Hardcopy or eBook $4.99
See More Details and/or Purchase
Don’t be afraid to express your creativity.
The Prizes – Over $3000
Our sponsors have come through with an incredible array of prizes.
- We have 5 Top prizes of $500 in gifts courtesy of Creativ Festival, Red Heart Yarns and The Crochet Crowd. Prizes include fully loaded Red Heart Yarn Bag, Swarovski Crystals, Creativ Festival Tickets, Ball Winder, Yarn Swift and Official Crochet Crowd Mug.
- We have 10 prizes of $75 courtesy of James C Brett, Schachenmayr Yarns, and My Mountain Yarn. Prizes include $75 worth of yarn assorted yarn balls and Official Crochet Crowd Mug.
Awarding of Prizes
- Each item will end up being judged. A Creativ Festival Judging Panel will decide the best 5 of the entire submissions on the day we are setting up the show. The winners will be on special exhibit.
- All of the submissions will be put into a random draw and 10 selections will be randomly selected. Everyone has an equal opportunity to win.
More About Creativ Festival
- All creatures and items will be for sale at Creativ Festival. Proceeds will benefit the Humane Society of Canada. We do not return items.
- Anyone in the world is open to participating in this challenge.
- You do not need to be a member or sign up in advance to participate. You simply complete the challenge and mail in your submission.
- Your item must reflect something that is relevant for the Movie ‘Madagascar’ theme.
- The challenger may use any yarn they wish.
- The finished articles must be mailed to The Crochet Crowd Studio by September 26th, 2014. Packages must be post marked on or September 26th to remain in the challenge. We need the characters weeks before the show to do the final exhibit plans. Be mindful that our truck is packed up October 21st and all submissions must be received by October 18th to be included into the show exhibit. If mailing from a far distance, ensure you get your submission in the mail prior to the cut off date.
- You do not need to attend in person at Creativ Festival to be part of this challenge. Winners will be selected and all prizes will be mailed to the winners after the show.
- Your items will not be returned after the show. Remember, your item is going towards a charity cause and is up for sale to benefit the Humane Society of Canada. Your donations and times will be appreciated by many.
Submission & Processing
- The challenger can submit multiple items. Each finished item is counted as a separate entry. Your item must be finished with no assembly required.
- You will mail in your submission(s) to The Crochet Crowd Studio.
- Each submission will be photographed as a group. For example, if a crocheter submits 4 items. The 4 items will be photographed together and labelled. Each item counts as a separate entry for the draw.
- Photography will be released October 20th, 2014 as a complete gallery.
- Challengers can share their entries in advance on our Facebook but be advised this allows others to see your creativity in advance to make decisions about their own entries and creative inspiration.
- Use your best discretion when packaging and shipping these characters to ensure product arrives safely.
PLEASE DO NOT USE FOAM PEANUTS
- It is not necessary to gift wrap, tissue wrap or provide greeting cards with your submission. A quick note with your contact information. Contact information should be your full name, address, phone number and email address. Help keep the environment clean
You MUST Label Each Character
- Each character needs it’s own label. Please provide your name and mailing address on each label of your character.
- It is your responsibility to ensure you label your character.
- Place the label onto the character / item in an area that is not front and centre to the features of the character.
- Ensure the label if legible and easy to read.
- Your items will be on public display, be mindful where you put the label for display reasons.
- You can use a stiff piece of paper to write your name and address. Hole punch the paper and insert a string through the paper to attach it.
- Unlabelled characters will NOT be entered into the draw.
We will be entering your name into the chart below in order in which they are received. We will include the first and last name from the label of the characters. We will include the number of entries by person.
Mailing Address & Shipping
Please use regular parcel postal services. DO NOT USE COURIERS.
Courier Services Charge Us A Minimum of $60 per shipment for customs processing. We will not enter any submissions into our draw that arrive through courier. All courier packages will be rejected and returned to you at your expense.
Confirmed Entries Received + Photographed
In order of when they are received. All entries to be mailed on or before September 26th, 2014 and to our studio by October 18th, 2014. Do not use courier to send us your entries as customs and taxes are applied to the shipment for The Crochet Crowd to pay.
Entry(ies) – Name – State/Province/Country
- 1 – Paige Wright – Brick, NJ USA
- 2 – 18 – Kevin & Karen Price – Ontario Canada
- 19 – Cathy Blay – Texas USA
- 20 – 27 – Diane Suder – Michigan USA
- 28 – Sandy Borth – Ontario Canada
- 29 – Karen Wheeler – NH USA
- 30 – Pamela Jones – MA USA
- 31 – Claire Baker – UK
- 32 – Miriam Lauer – KY USA
- 33 – 36 – Ann Ring – UK
- 37 – 44 – Kevin Price, Ontario Canada
- 45 – Sylvia Beschman – OH USA
- 46 – 47 – Lydia M. Carawan – MI USA
- 48 – Cindy Shepard – CA USA
- 49 – Sara Hoos, GA USA
- 50 – 51 – Annette Grant, Ontario Canada
- 52 – JoAnne Seiple, OH USA
- 53 – 54 – Julie Birkes, NE USA
- 55 – 56 – Alan Lenton, AZ USA
- 57 – 60 – April Williamson, WA USA
- 61 – 68 – Pamela Jones, MA, USA
- 69 – 72 – Anna Farquhar, Ontario Canada
- 73 – 79 – Cheryl Jensen, Utah USA
- 80 – 83 – Lori Grondin, Ontario Canada (1 Scene with 4 Affixed Items)
- 84 – 101 – Ellen Morey, TX USA
- 102 – Emma Ivemay, Ontario Canada
- 103 – Elizabeth Williams, TX USA
- 104 – Stephanie Sage, Ontario Canada
- 105 – Claire Veitch, Ontario Canada
- 106 – Tara Hretsina, Saskatchewan Canada
- 107 – 109 – Jessica Pearrault, MA USA
- 110 – Betty Lewis, IN USA
- 111 – Pamela Jones, MA USA
- 112 – Julia Lengyell, Ontario Canada
- 113 – Julie Ashton, France Europe
- 114 – 115 – Kelly Wilson, Ontario Canada
- 116 – 121 – Deanna Piney, Ontario Canada
- 122 – Emily Dextraze, New Brunswick Canada
- 123 – 126 – Stacy Hinds, NE USA
- 127 – 131 – Dawn Heisdorffer, IA USA
- 132 – 134 – Salma Ibrahim, Dubai United Arab Emirates
- 135 – Jennifer Teryua, CA USA
- 136 – 137 – Jennifer Rippey, WA USA
- 138 – 141 – Julie Spindler, AZ USA
- 142 – 150 – Sheri Goad, VA USA
- 151 – 161 – Kevin and Karen Price, Ontario Canada
- 162 – Sylvia Beschman, OH USA
- 163 – 164 – Caroline Casey, Ontario Canada
- 165 – 173 – Pamela Jones, MA USA
- 174 – 175 – Jessica Singh, Ontario Canada
- 176 – 177 – Joanne Zednik, IL USA
- 178 – Trisha Mortimore, British Columbia Canada
- 179 – 188 – Judy Wray, MS USA
- 189 – Vanessia Osborne, Ontario Canada
- 190 – Pamela Dow, NH USA
- 191 – Dianne McGreggor, TX USA
- 192 – Jeanne Beverly, MD USA
- 193 – 195 – Elizabeth Jones, OH USA
- 196 – 197 – Patricia Reitz, PA USA
- 198 – 200 – Darlene Power, Nova Scotia Canada
- 201 – 202 – Victoria Gonzalez, FL USA
- 203 – Wendy Wrage, IA USA
- 204 – 207 – Sarah Winters, Alberta Canada
- 208 – 211 – Jess Gee, IN USA
- 212 – Linda Castro, Hawaii USA
- 213 – Mary Bloodgood, FL USA
- 214 – Arielle Roberts, FL USA
- 215 – Marie Ressler, FL USA
- 216 – Elaine Poff, FL USA
- 217 – 225 – Margie Carroll, NY USA
- 226 – 229 – Laura Jean Bartholomew, KS USA
- 230 – 231 – Pat Scheffer, FL USA
- 232 – 242 – Janet Diller, CO USA
- 243 – Sarah Redford, TX USA
- 244 – Eugenia Pentland, Ontario Canada
- 245 – 249 – Erica Sutton, SC USA
- 250 – 253 – Naomi Bell, OR USA
- 254 – 257 – Corrine Neeley, IN USA
- 258 – Noel Wiseman, WV USA
- 259 – 265 – Amy Still, IL USA
- 266 – 271 – Lori Johnson, WI USA
- 272 – Crystal Jones, VA USA
- 273 – Kevin Price, Ontario Canada
- 274 – Dela Wilkins, British Columbia Canada
- 275 – Anna Farquhar, Ontario Canada
- 276 – Cheryl Jensen, UT USA
- 277 – Karen Shepherd, Ontario Canada
- 278 – Maaike Smeeter, Netherlands
- 279 – Sophie Crawford, New Zealand
- 280 – Cheryl Comier, Ontario Canada
- 281 – Julia Franklin, NC USA
- 282 – 288 – Kris Rollings, Australia
- 289 – 294 – Kate Johnson, TX USA
122 thoughts on “Stranded & Tangled In Madagascar”
Mikeye, Hi! Mine is from the second movie! King Julien was partying wearing coconuts! The photo that was shared didn’t show the coconuts? I worked really hard to make him look like he was in the movie! As you Ashe to do! He looks really off centered in the photo!
Just wondering if you have received my package? I don’t see my name on the list.
I see you got my animal, awesome! But I am from VA not WA.
Hi Mikey, I was wondering if you have received my entry yet…it was post marked on Sept 26th. ..Thank You!
I just processed it a few minutes ago. I am now updating the website.
Okay, Thanks a bunch!!
Mikey, Thank for up dating the Animals that ai sent! But I missed spelled one name, Sorry. If you have time please correct it! It was for the Lion, Arielle Roberts made it! I spelled it wrong and so did you! Thanks Mikey, your the best ! Mary
Hi! Yesterday it said my package arrived! No posting that it was received? Please post and let me know it arrived ? Thank Mary
I just spent 2 hours photographing all of the received entries I got last week. Yours were one of them. Sorry. I was away for 11 days doing live shows. I’m doing the best I can.
Mikey, They all were not from me! Each one had a different name tag, I don’t want to take credit for my students Animals! They all worked really hard on their animals, if you don’t mind please correct it ! Thanks Mary
I am really sorry Mary… I have packed all of your items into one of 11 boxes… Can you give me a breakdown on the names? The winners will be chosen at the show where the names have been attached to each item.
King Julian-Mary Bloodgood, Alex the Lion-Airellia Roberts, Gloria the Hippo-Marie Ressler, Skipper the Peguin-Elaine Poff, Thanks Mikey
I will make the change for the submissions. The photographs were taken together. As I mentioned, the boxes are already packed and I have no idea what boxes the characters are in. Sorry for my screw up.
Its, OK I know you work hard! At least you really enjoy your job! ☺️
Can we add some fabric to the piece for accessories?? Or does it completely have to be crocheted?
That’s part of mixed media… I am reading the date of this comment and it’s past the submissions due date. All entries were to be mailed to us no later than Sept 26th. It will not get to us before the show to put it on exhibit and qualify for the prizes.
I shipped my box on the 24th, I hope it gets there soon.
Glad my box finally arrived.
I don’t see my name I sent it a few weeks ago. :(. Wondering if I did something wrong.
I was away for 11 days in a live show. I am the only one processing and photographing. I believe it’s been entered. Sorry for the delay, it was beyond my control.
Mikey, I don’t remember if I put my phone number on my tag will this disqualify me from the drawing. I sent my package on Monday 9/22. see by tracking it is on it way from Florida. Hope you get it. Thanks for allowing us to express ourselves. This is my first time doing something like this and I got a lot of encouragement from my fellow workers.
I don’t think I have received your item yet… I just needed a name and address on the label to qualify. Thanks for asking.
Mikey, I just shipped the snake that I brought to the yarn sale on Wednesday, so it should get there soon. I did put a label on it with my name & address but I didn’t see until I got home from the post office that I needed to include my email address & phone number, if you need them can I can PM them to you so you can add it to the label when you get the snake, just let me know. Also I had to squish the head of the snake a little to get it in the box, if you could fluff it back to normal when you get it that would be awesome! Thanks, Crystal Jones
Thanks so much Crystal… your snake was awesome… I just needed the name and address on the label to identify each submission.
All sent in now. Can not wait until Creative Festival! T-Minus 28 days!
Thanks so much… I think it actually arrived this morning.
Shipped my toy on the 23rd. Since I am in NH taken care of my brother who shattered his elbow I had limited options for a label. Luckily I had a business card in my bag and wrote on back of it. Heading home to IA next week.
My one Penguin with Hallowen wings on the way. I posted today.thanks
Thank you so much.
I shipped mine on 9/22 They should be arriving any time now!
My self and my crochet students each made one.
We are so excited for you to see them!
Only one more day to get your donations in the mail ,before it’s too late!
Still finishing mine. I will barely make it. Working tons of hours and will be glad to be done.
Good Stuff Patti!
Thank you for your support Mary!
I went to mail my submission in on Monday and it was going to costs me $65 dollars to mail. Sorry but I cannot afford that much to mail my 4 penguins in. Good luck to everyone.
No problem… you have to think about your own budget. I wonder why it’s so expensive. Was it a huge box… most of the boxes are around the $20 range. Thank you for considering our challenge.
It is 4 penguins that I had stacked, one on top of the other so it was about 36 inches tall and they were sitting on an oval piece of wood – not that heavy with a dowel holding it all together. It was tall but width was only about 7 to 8 inches.
Hi! I’ve sent in four boxes in total, you received my first two. But the last two I sent back on the 8th, there must have been some error in the shipping, considering I sent them all the same exact way. The tracking is telling me the last two boxes are being held and I’m not sure why. I do hope you can still receive them.
We are back home in our studio starting next Monday. I am unaware of any packages being held in customs at this time. I am not the sender so I cannot inquire about them on my end. They won’t share that info with me.
Okay, thank you. I noticed I was added again to the list so you have the last few items I had sent.
You should be receiving an animal from me any day now if you haven’t already got it. Trisha Mortimore Surrey, BC CANADA
Thank yo so much Trisha!
Will you be able let us know how much each item sells for? Or even the total amount raised from the sale of our items?
We will be sharing this information must not sharing the individual prices as they will be marked at the show. We will be gathering our total based on the entire exhibit being for sale.
Thank you. I am excited about this.
I’m sure every crafter feels emotionally invested in each item the create.
These are my first items I have created from just a sparkle in my mind to finish, knowing that I will be sending them off into the world, where I have no control over what happens next.
Pingback: Link Love for Best Crochet Patterns, Ideas and News — Crochet Concupiscence
I don’t remember much about the movie so my animals are just from the patterns provided above, is that good enough or am I supposed to change them.
That’s fine. 😀 Thanks for your help.
Do I need to give my amimals a name?
You can but if you are doing show’n tell on Facebook, adding a name or two adds extra cuteness to your picture.
Great. Thsnks! They are on their way.
Mikey is UPS considered a COURIER in your city? When I sent my animals I sent mine from the UPS office and I told them they were being sent to a PO BOX so they needed to go USPS but they told me they would not have a problem delivering them because of the actual street address and that they were not considered a courier. I am going to be very very angry if I have screwed this up.
Yes… UPS is United Parcel Services which is a courier. We have received your items yesterday.
and so they have been returned or are they charging you a large sum of money per customs?
and how much did they want to charge?
Michael contact me privately at firstname.lastname@example.org if you were charged anything for the delivery of my items. I want to make sure you are not out any money because of my mistake.
No… we kept it. we will be getting the bill in the mail in the next month. Seeing it came so far and the size of box it was, we didn’t have the heart to return it.
I will pay for anything you are charged because of my error.
Can we use crocheted/embroidered eyes? Since I have no idea who’s actually going to end up with any creation I submit, I’d rather work on the safe side, and not have any potential swallowing hazards. Thanks, and I think that not only is this a really fun challenge, but a great charity to support. (One of my cats is an OSPCA rescue.)
My submission was done with crochet eyes!
I used safety eyes so there should be no issue
Quick question… Are you wanting crochet from just Madagascar 2 or can it be from any of the 3 movies???
We are constructing the Madagascar Beach and Jungle Theme for the exhibit.
Thanks so much Mikey!!!!!
You want the first which takes place in Madagascar. The second is in Africa.
Yay mine is there! I noticed you counted mine as two entries but i didnt intend for it to be. If you think each actually qualifies separately that is great but i was originally going to sew them together. I just didnt want to get a huge box due to the bulk or have it get stretched and ruined so i kept them separate! I just wanted to clarify and I am fine with whatever you decide! Thanks!!
They should be two… Though they work together for your idea… they are two time consuming projects.
Thanks for your input! That makes me feel better since i didnt want to feel like i was “getting away” with something if it was a mistake.
I am working on 4 animals and was planning to put them all in one unified display. Will they count as 4 enteries or only 1. Thanks
Will be four.